It doesn’t matter what field you are in, be it formal employment, informal employment or in business for yourself, the one thing that stands out is that at some point you are going to have to interview for a position. For models, this interview is called a casting call. The industry is very competitive. Only the best of the best make it to the catwalks and modeling shows. There are a lot of modeling talents out there, but not everyone of them gets to be in the spotlight and to enjoy the lavish lifestyle that modeling brings. The difference between success and failure often comes down to the casting calls and how well the prospecting model prepares for them. To that effect, it remains as the most important question in any prospecting model’s mind: How to prepare for a modeling casting call? Casting calls are like any other job interview. It is the opportunity for designers, art directors and fashion moguls to assess the assets on display and see whether or not a model fits the profile they are looking for. It is imperative that a model attends these casting calls adequately prepared. Here are a few tips that will help any prospecting model make the best possible impression on casting calls.
1. Do research on the client. This is the first thing any self respecting model should do. Different clients have different needs and in modeling, it is very rare to find a ‘one size fits all’ approach. It is the auditioning model’s job to make sure that they know what the client wants. If it’s a designer, do you have the sort of body or look they often go for? If it’s a photographer, what is it the role they expect you to play in the shoot? These are some of the questions that you should be asking yourself and making sure that you have the answers to before attending a casting call. Be sure to give yourself every possible advantage by knowing beforehand what the client is most likely inclined to go for.
2. Dress and look as natural as possible. Most casting call directors are looking for a blank canvas. Something they can mold into the vision they have. It is therefore important that you let them see you. Use very light make up. A little lip gloss, concealer and mascara should do the trick. This makes sure you look reveal the untouched beauty that you possess. Wear simple clothing and avoid overly flashy ones. Make sure they are tight enough so that the client can see your body shape. It is often safer to just put on a nice pair of jeans and a T-shirt. Remove the extra piercings and cover tattoos unless they are preferred.
3. Be on time. Like in any other business, time is money. More so in the modeling industry. Studio time is money, so are photo shoots and events. The directors need to know that you can make it on time for whatever event you are needed for. Arrive at least 15 minutes before time. This gives you the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the place and shows the directors that you are a professional who takes their work very seriously. Most directors are often looking for this.
4. Bring a professional portfolio. This is like your CV. It shows your past work and some of your best moments. It doesn’t matter whether you have had professional work before or not, it is important to have a portfolio that contains 10-15 of your best pictures. This shows the directors before hand what you look like in print and also goes to show them that you are in this for the long run and not just for fun.
5. Make a lasting impression. Clients see a lot of models during casting calls. You need to make sure that you stand out from the crowd. Portray confidence and a high self esteem through your walk, the way you interact with the directors and through your personal presentation. Show them you are confident and hold yourself in high regard. This feeling often rubs off on the client and they will immediately be drawn to you.
As always, it pays to learn the industry inside and out. Take time to research what is expected of models in every possible scenario. This ensures that you are in touch with the current happenings and any question or situation thrown at you will not faze you.